More than a billion people have iPhones now. The first iPhone came into the picture in 2007, almost 15 years ago. People rave about the flagship smartphones more than ever.
In fact, according to the companymarketcap.com, Apple is the world’s most valued company with a market cap of USD 2.6 Trillion.
Do you want to know more about iPhone users? Are you interested to understand the behavior and demographics of iPhone users? Do you want to study what users make to buy an iPhone?
After knowing this, you will understand why people are fascinated to buy iPhones and which amazing features they love to access.
iPhone Users and Sales Statistics(2023)
Table of Contents
Continue reading about Apple’s latest earnings and other interesting facts with its Statistics figures. In this blog, we will know about –
- Statistical number of Worldwide iPhone users
- iPhone customers – its behavior and demographics
- iPhone Usage Statistics
- iPhone Sales Statistics and Revenue Trends Worldwide
- iPhone Market Share Worldwide
- iPhone Market Share in the US
- iPhone Market Share in China
- iPhone Market Share in India
- iPhone Key Facts
- Key Takeaway
Let’s start with how many mobile users currently have an iPhone.
What is the current number of total iPhone Users?
Currently, according to Bankmycell.com, there are more than 1.3 billion people who are owners of Apple iPhones. A whopping 150 million iPhones were sold worldwide in 2022 alone, so with years to pass, the number of users will keep growing.
It started with just 10 million in 2008 and then, hit 100 million in 2011, and it reached the billion-user mark in 2020.
iPhone User Demographics
Here are some special facts and statistics about the demographics of iPhone users –
- According to MacFlyPro, an average iPhone user’s between the ages of 35 to 44. They prefer premium brands such as Starbucks and German Car companies like BMW. It indicates iPhone is also considered a premium brand.
- According to Marketsplash, 51% of iPhone users were female compared to 49% of males. A well-balanced representation of owners concerning genders.
- An average iPhone user has completed a college degree ( a full-time 4-year-old degree).
- They are also tech aficionados and live in the urban areas.
- According to DemandSage, 35% of people who own an iPhone also own an Apple Watch.
iPhone Usage Statistics
People who don’t use iPhone wonders How do iPhone users utilize their devices? Well, with more than 1.6 billion using iPhones, some of the most popular apps that people use are Facebook, Instagram & YouTube. During the pandemic, everyone shifted to Zoom for remote working, taking it to the number 1 downloaded app on the App Store.
The Apple App Store is quite popular with more than 500 million visits per month. On average according to Marketsplash, 51 apps are downloaded every month. Quite impressive!
However, did you know it was Apple who set the precedent with a pre-installed App Store on a smartphone? The OG at this invention which every smartphone comes with.
Where does Apple stand globally with its sales? What are some interesting patterns? Let’s go through some statistics about the global iPhone sales trends year on year.
iPhone Sales Statistics
Apple touched a record revenue in FY 2022. The company’s revenue crossed USD 394 billion.
Apple Quarterly Revenue 2005- 2023 ($bn)
During Q4 22, the company shipped a total of 70 million iPhones which was a decrease from the previous year’s Q4 quarter. However, in the Q1 of Apple’s fiscal year, it generated a whopping USD 65 billion only from selling its flagship smartphones – the iPhones.
An interesting fact to know is that since the iPhone was introduced in 2007, Apple sold over 2.5 billion units globally.
iPhone Market Share
According to some latest data from Bankmycell, Apple is at the number 1 spot for having the largest market share in the smartphone category all over the world. Standing at 27.6%, Samsung closed in second place at 27.1%.
According to StatCounter, iPhone has more than 60% share in Japan and 50% share in Canada. However, Apple’s market share is at 35% in Europe.
Countries like Germany & UK are comfortable with Google’s operating system. Thus, iPhone clocking a lower market share there.
Market share in the United States
In the United States, Apple iPhones take the numero uno position with a whopping market share of 57.5% in the smartphone industry.
Market Share in China
In a thorough research by Counterpoint, Apple registered a QoQ growth of 67% in China due to the new phone introduced (iPhone 14 series). This helped improve their market share to 22% in Q4 2022 in China. As of 2023, it has further risen to 23.9%.
Here is a table showing the iPhone’s Market Share in China from June 2021 to June 2022:
|Month||Market Share in China|
Market Share in India
India is one of the most important markets for Apple in Asia. Apple recently opened its flagship stores in Mumbai and Delhi in April 2023. This move was to expand further in India and to act as a marketing proposition to drive interest in the brand.
According to the company’s documents, Apple India’s revenue touched USD 4 billion, which was an all-time high record.
Although when measured globally, the market share of Apple in India is just a mere 3.65%. It is a clear push from Apple itself by introducing its flagship stores is significant enough to show how they view India as the next big market.
Also, according to Counterpoint Research, there is a gradual growth in Made in India shipments, an increase of 34% in 2022. As of April 2023, Apple’s market share rose to 4.21% in India.
Why do users choose iPhones over other devices globally?
According to Statista, in 2023, the number of iPhone users rose to more than 135 million, an 8% increase from last year. So, why are people choosing the iPhone over other devices?
The answer is – The ability to establish a connection and dependability with the clients. Apple has a seamless user experience and the privacy factor they get is unmatched.
One of the biggest issues with Apple is the price of the new flagship phones. However, with the hefty price cuts of the previous iPhone models and competitor exits, Apple has increased its revenue.
Although it’s not a market leader in music streaming or OTT, Apple is undeniably the best in customer retention and maintaining consumer loyalty.
Behavior Pattern of iOS Users vs Android Users
One key fact about people who are iOS users is they can easily transfer their data, text messaging is made easy with fellow iPhone users (iMessaging), easily share photos, videos, notes, contacts (AirDrop), etc.
According to Serpwatch, 30% of all smartphone users in the world are iPhone users. Also, users trust the iOS software because it doesn’t give away its source code to anyone. This protects the users from any imminent hacking attacks.
Statista says that iOS only accounts for 25% of the overall mobile operating system market, leaving Android to dominate globally.
Some fun interesting iPhone Key Facts
Now, that you have a brief understanding of the market share, let’s dive into some interesting iPhone facts. These may be the ones that you might have never heard about:
- While the iPhone project was in the works, it had a working title called “Purple”. All the developers working for the unnamed phone were working in the “Purple Dorm”.
- Apple has more than 200 patents to its name.
- The ads on iPhone always show 9.41 AM as the time because Steve Jobs released the first iPhone at 9.42 AM & the first iPad at 9.41 AM
- Around 56% of iPhone users exchange their old phones with newer models, every year when they release
- One of the greatest-selling iPhones of all time is iPhone 6, selling 222.4 million pieces since it was launched in 2014.
- The first generation iPhone was named the innovation of the year in 2007 by Times.
- 27% of Apple users buy iPhones using student discounts.
- “i” in the iPhone stands for internet. Steve Jobs explained this in 1998 when it was still new for people to understand what the internet was.
- Out of all the devices of Apple, iPhone is the most successful one. It brings in at least 55% of the revenue for Apple.
- It was Samsung who used to make the processors for the iPhone. Now, it doesn’t anymore because TSMC makes them for Apple.
- Although the iPhone came into existence in 2007, the prototype was invented in 1983 – a touchscreen landline. It was not commercialized though.
- The number of iPhone users is set to grow year on year. According to Bankmycell, it is estimated that more than 1.5 billion people will use iPhones by the year 2025.
Apple’s most successful product is undoubtedly the iPhone with it’s more than 1.3 Billion users. It has revolutionized the entire smartphone industry. It has changed how we spend time online, on the internet.
In a way, although it is the second largest in the world when it comes to smartphone vendor share, Apple will always be considered the pioneer of the smartphone industry.
Safe and secure iOS with tested features, iPhone is the most trusted operating system among all mobile devices.